How To Use The Garnuu Menstrual Cup
- Boil Your Cup to Sanitize
- Wash Your Hands
- You will want the cup to be wet for insertion. Use warm water or use lubricant. If you’re using lubricant add a tiny bit to the rim of the cup.
- Find Your Position: Either sit on the toilet, squat, one leg on the toilet. Whatever you’re most comfortable with. Whatever position you usually insert a tampon is fine.
- Fold the Cup: There are various folding methods, and you should experiment to find your favorite. We’ve gathered the easiest folds for you below
How To Fold A Menstrual Cup
There are a few different methods you can use to fold your menstrual cup. Use the one that is most comfortable for you.
The Punch Down Fold
Push the rim of the menstrual cup down to the base of the cup.
Pinch the menstrual cup together so it doesn't pop open.
The punch-down fold makes the smallest diameter like the size of a tampon making it easy for insertion.
The C Fold
Fold the menstrual cup in half lengthwise.
Fold until one side is touching the other.
The rim should look like a C. Use two hands for insertion to avoid the cup opening early.
The 7 Fold
Fold the menstrual cup closed.
Bring one top corner down diagonally to the opposite bottom corner.
The rim should look like a 7. This gives you a small point of insertion and gives you control of when you want the cup to open.
How to Insert Your Menstrual Cup
- Once inserting, the cup should pop open.
- If it doesn’t and you feel dents around the base of the cup. Gently push the base of the cup or twist until it opens.
- When it opens, pull the stem—you should feel resistance—this is the vacuum forming to collect the liquid.
- When the cup is inserted correctly, no blood should come out. That’s what the suction is for!
- If it doesn’t work the first time—that's okay! Just start over again!
- Your cup holds 3-5 tampons worth of liquid. You only need to empty it every 12 hours!
How to Remove Your Menstrual Cup
- Wash your hands
- Relax! It will come out-don't get too anxious.
- Pull the stem until you can reach the base (where the ridges are on the cup). You can use your stomach muscle to help push too.
- Gently squeeze the base to release the vacuum almost like you’re folding it (like when you inserted it) and gently rock it from side to side to pull it out.
- Wash your cup initially with cold water to remove the stains, then rinse with hot water and soap to wash the cup thoroughly.
- Make sure the little holes around the cup are clean—when you reinsert these will need to be clear for the suction or vacuum to work.
Menstrual Cup FAQ
How do I care for my menstrual cup between periods?
- Boil your menstrual cup in hot water for 3-5 minutes
- Fully dry your cup to avoid bacteria build up in between periods.
- Store your Garnuu Menstrual Cup in the satin bag in between your periods.
How do I avoid staining my period cup?
Rinse your cup with cold water after you initially remove your menstrual cup, then wash it with hot water and soap. This will help prevent initial staining. The Garnuu Menstrual Cup is also designed in a purple color to avoid stains.
How many hours can I wear the period cup?
You can wear your Garnuu menstrual cup for up to 12 hours. Emptying it twice a day.
How much fluid does a menstrual cup hold?
Size 1 holds 30 ml of liquid (about 6 regular tampons* worth of liquid.)
Size 2 holds 35 ml of liquid (about 7 regular tampons* worth of liquid.)
*A regular sized tampon holds around 5 ml of liquid.
How long will my period cup last?
You can wear it for up to 12 hours at a time, but you can use your Garnuu Menstrual Cup for up to 10 years.
The stem is too long for me. How do I fix this?
If the stem is too long and is uncomfortable that means your cervix is lower. Don’t be alarmed you can simply cut the stem of your cup to make it fit for you.
What size Garnuu Menstrual Cup should I get?
Size 1: For those who have lighter periods or who haven’t given birth. Dimensions: 73x42 mm
Size 2: For those who have heavier periods or who have given birth. Dimensions: 80x47 mm
How do I clean my menstrual cup?
You can clean your Garnuu Menstrual Cup in a few different ways:
- Use a period cup cleanser or you can use a ph-balanced soap.
- You can also make a vinegar solution to sanitize your cup.
- Boil your menstrual cup at the end of your menstrual cycle in hot water for 3-5 minutes.
Make sure you dry your menstrual cup completely before storing to avoid added bacteria.